Monday, April 13, 2009

Making Room to K'Nex with God

I was just playing with Caleb. We were playing with some of his K'Nex. Yesterday I created two 'things' with wheels, and he immediately turned them into lawn mowers and star ted 'mowing' the grass fringe of the throw blanket Aunt Laura made for him when he was born.






Well, one of the wheels fell off of one of the mowers - I was sitting there 'resting my eyes' when it happened – and Caleb immediately said in a somewhat whiney voice, “One of the wheels fell off!” I know it was a statement, but I know it was a request for help at the same time. I opened my eyes to see what happened...so I could help him...he's my son. And before I could lean over and lend a hand, Caleb had grabbed the wheel and put it back on. I don't think it is on all the way...so he'll probably be asking for help again soon.

I couldn't help but let my mind wander to how God views us sometimes. We ask God for help, but then we immediately take things into our own hands and try to do it ourselves.

The problem, a lot of times, isn't that we don't ask God for help...but that we don't give God room to do what He wants to do. This may mean we have to wait a bit longer. It may mean that we get uncomfortable. It will require more FAITH.

In a lot of leadership and self-help type books we see this idea labeled 'margin.' They talk about giving yourself margin. I think we need to give God margin in our lives. We need to make room, plan room, or build room in our lives for God's margin.

It needs to be the practice of every Christ-follower to give God margin. Isn't that what being a Christ-follower is all about? How will we ever see God do amazing things in our lives unless we give Him the room to do them? Check out what David wrote:

Psalm 40:1-2 (NIV)

1 I waited patiently for the LORD;
he turned to me and heard my cry.

2 He lifted me out of the slimy pit,
out of the mud and mire;
he set my feet on a rock
and gave me a firm place to stand.

So, ask God to work in your life. Ask with Faith (see Matthew 8:5-13). Ask with Hope (see Psalm 146, esp. vs. 5). Then give God margin...wait for Him to act...before you do.

No comments:

Post a Comment